The easiest and most effective way to make your kitchen like new is repainting your old wood cabinets. Repainting or refinishing your kitchen cabinets may appear to be a daunting task, but with the right amount of planning and know-how, you can make your old kitchen cabinets like new again with a few simple steps. Here’s how:
- Remove all cabinet doors and hardware. Be sure to number each door to make for easy replacement when you’re all done
- Next you will need to clean every surface you wish to repaint. This can be achieved with many types of degreasing products and a cloth or cleaning brush.
- The next step is arguably the most time-consuming portion: sanding. Using an electric hand sander and an angled sanding block are the best tools for this job. If your wood cabinets were painted previously, and the paint is in fair shape, you don’t need to sand down to bare wood. Simply sand enough so that the paint will adhere and lay flat.
- Next you will need to add paint primer. This step is important before painting as it allows you to see any imperfections or gaps in the wood prior to your final painting when the primer is dry. Standard caulk can be used to hide any of these imperfections.
- Now it’s time to paint. This can be achieved with a paint sprayer, roller, or brush. Allow the paint to dry, then rehang your cabinet doors and install hardware. Voila! As you can see, painting allows for quite the transformation without breaking the bank!